Friday, March 24, 2017

Golly Dolly

Hello everyone, today I will be discussing a very important aspect of my filming process, which is the use of the dolly. The dolly is used in film in order to allow for a stabilized shot that displays movement, and this will be needed in our introduction. After our film sequence, our "hallway" shot will follow a young man's walk through a business office, and we are going to attempt a master shot, but it will most likely be too difficult to accomplish.

Today I plan on discussing with you all exactly how my group and I could create our own dolly, as we do not have a large budget to spend on the film. Our first option would be quite simple, which would be placing our tripod and camera on top of a rolling office chair, while one person is pushing the chair in the direction that we would like the film to pursue. I spent some time to look up other homemade dolly ideas, just to see if we can accomplish more with a specific type of dolly.

I found that there were some homemade dolly ideas that were common, but incredibly risky. One of these options was the car. Using a slow-driving car would seemingly be effective; however, it is revealed that the shot tends to come out shaky and that is not what we would like to have in our film. Cardboard is also a very common dolly, however it would have to be moving on a smooth surface, and there is a lot of room for failure while using a piece of cardboard. The shot would also be quite low unless we place the cardboard on something elevated.

In my opinion, I think that we should just use the office chair that rolls as that seems to be the best option that allows for a clear and focused shot, despite the movement of the camera. I also feel like this best suits our options as I finally bought our tripod yesterday, and due to Amazon Prime, I believe that tripod should come to us very soon.

I also went to a few office buildings once to see what option we should use for our office setting. Our best option is the Eiglarsh building in Weston due to proximity, but we may use my father's office or Camy's dad's office. All I have to do is see when all of our cast is available, and when the office will be open for us in order to film with little to no distraction. I am very excited as I know that we will be filming incredibly soon, as I am beginning to work on our voice-over script right now. I know that we will try as much as we can to spend our time efficiently in this process. We have decided that we will begin to look for clips and pictures from our childhoods, as well as some of our friends to create a diverse opening to our film.

I hope you all enjoyed this blog, and I cannot wait to begin to show you all some clips from our film opening, and eventually the entire opening. Thank you for reading!!!

Resources:
Renée, V. "Get Pro Quality Camera Moves with These Household DIY Dolly Hacks." No Film School. N.p., 13 Aug. 2014. Web. 24 Mar. 2017.

No comments:

Post a Comment