Sunday, March 12, 2017

3rd Time's A Charm

Hey everybody! This will be the final blog of the week, and I want you all to know that I have accumulated an immersive amount of research while thinking about the specific genres that my group is trying to pursue. In today's blog, I will show you all my research from the following genres: Drama, Comedy, Romantic Comedy, and Suspense.

For the drama research, I went on numerous websites to try to develop more research on the genre and establish what tendencies the drama genre has. Something my group and I realized that something unique about the drama genre is that there are many subcategories that come with the genre. Drama movies tend to deal with a social issue that is evident in society, such as the latest winner of the year's best picture according to the Academy awards, Moonlight. This may be a genre that my group and I want to pursue as we feel like it would be a very great idea to reflect on current issues of society.

The next genre I wanted to research was the comedy genre. Comedic films interest my group and I as we also feel that while it would be interesting to film a movie that discusses issues that draw importance to society, sometimes it is a good idea to just watch a film for pure enjoyment, which the comedy genre can accomplish. Comedies tend to have many ethnic or racial stereotypes, as the characters are usually incredibly stereotypical to what society believes. Comedic films can open in many different ways, but the films tend to start out by introducing the characters in a comedic fashion, whether through pure dialogue, or putting the character in a humorous situation. Comedy films; however, may have an underlying message in some of the dark or slapstick humor. One film that shows the essence of this idea is the 2016 film Sausage Party. Created by a well-known stoner Seth Rogen, most people went into his newest animation product for just a few laughs. As the movie progressed, one may come to realize that Rogen's film is actually about religion and the dilemmas that religion is facing today. I thought this would be a very excellent route to follow for my group as while we can have fun with the film, we can also give a undertone message that sticks with the audience.

Suspense films are also very intriguing to our group as something that suspense films do, and something we would like to accomplish, is keeping the audience engaged. In order to find profound research on the suspense genre, we decided to find information on arguably the greatest suspense director of all time, Alfred Hitchcock. Hitchcock tended to use point-of-view shots, low-key lighting, close-ups, and lots of camera movement in his shots and such. In his content, Hitchcock tends to use directional wit, and focuses heavily on loud and dramatic sounds to spike the viewer's attention. Suspense films are also quite successful, in my personal opinion, as they always leave me wanting more and on the edge of my seat. This may be a genre my group and I want to pursue.

I hope you all enjoyed this blog post, and I am incredibly excited to see what genre my group and I finally decide on. Hopefully I will see you next post!!



Resources:
"Drama Movies." Filmbug: Guide to Movie Stars. N.p., n.d. Web. 12 Mar. 2017.
"Drama Films." An Award-winning, Unique Resource of Film Reference Material for Film Buffs and Others, with Reviews of Classic American-Hollywood Films, Academy Awards History, Film Posters. N.p., n.d. Web. 12 Mar. 2017.
Kan, Michael. "Stereotypes in Comedy: Harm or Humor?" The Michigan Daily. N.p., n.d. Web. 12 Mar. 2017.
Ricwulf, Daniel. "What Sausage Party Says About Religion & Belief." Screen Rant. N.p., 22 Aug. 2016. Web. 12 Mar. 2017.
Bays, Jeff. "Film Techniques of Alfred Hitchcock." Film Techniques of Alfred Hitchcock - Suspense, Camera Angles, Style, Editing, Basics. N.p., n.d. Web. 12 Mar. 2017.

No comments:

Post a Comment